The Comebacks is a 2007 American satirical comedy film directed by Tom Brady. This film is a parody of the clichés and plots of the sports film genre. In the UK, Greece and Finland this film is called Sports Movie in Brazil is called Team of Crazy. The movie was released into theaters on October 19, 2007.
Coach Lambeau Fields (David Koechner) is pathetic. He has the distinction of being the worst coach in the history of sports anyone can recall. A loser of enormous proportions, the incompetent and seemingly hopeless coach is convinced by fellow coach Freddie Wiseman (Carl Weathers) to return to the field for one last shot. Assuring his long suffering wife, Barb (Melora Hardin), that he will not ignore his family, Coach moves them to Plainfolk, Texas where he hopes to redeem himself and his reputation. Here he begins yet another attempt to improve his abysmal record - this time as the coach of the football team at Heartland State University. But he is saddled with a team of misfits - most of whom don't know the difference between a line of scrimmage and a line at the cafeteria.
Although the team and townsfolk are leery of the newcomer's approach, the Coach uses his unorthodox methods to whip this group of rag-tags into shape - both on and off the field. While the audience follows their winding road to the playoffs, the film pokes fun at the clichés and conventions of other sports flicks. And the team does make progress, so much so that they actually make it to the South-Southwest Conference Championship at the 2nd Annual Toilet Bowl.
Facing their fiercest opponents yet and yearning to win the big game, The Comebacks face off with the Lone Star State Unbeatables. And as every great sports team has always done, The Comebacks use ingenuity and unorthodox measures in the final showdown where the best team win. The Comebacks are victorious, but Lambeau is subsequently knocked down in a surprise attack by a bus with Freddie driving it, who laughs manically as Lambeau is in pain . Lambeau groans in agony.
* David Koechner - Coach Lambeau Fields, the coach of the Heartland Comebacks
* Carl Weathers - Freddie Wiseman, the coach of the Lone Star State Unbeatables
* Melora Hardin - Barb Fields, the wife of Lambeau Fields
* Brooke Nevin - Michelle Fields, the daughter of Lambeau Fields
* Andy Dick - Toilet Bowl Referee
* Robert Ri'chard - Acl Tare (pronounced "a seal tear E"), a talented running back who lives up to his name
* Noureen DeWulf - Jizminder Featherfoot, the kicker for the Comebacks. Originally a soccer prodigy, Coach Fields saw her kicking skills and recruited her.
* Matthew Lawrence - Lance Truman, the quarterback of the Comebacks
* Nick Searcy - Mr. Truman, Lance's father. He works as a drag queen, imitating Cher and Christina Aguilera.
* Jackie Long - Trotter, the macho wide receiver.
* Jesse Garcia - Jorge Juanson, the receiver on the Comebacks.
* George Back - Buddy Boy, the lineman of the comebacks.
* Martin Spanjers - Randy Randinger, the towel boy of the Comebacks.
* Stacy Keibler - All-American Mom, a character in the toilet bowl halftime show.
* Drew Lachey - All-American Dad, a character in the toilet bowl halftime show.
* Jason Sklar and Randy Sklar - Superfans
* Frank Caliendo - Chip Imitation
* Jermaine Williams - iPod, a youth who acts dumb and humps people's legs in order to get attention. His actions are revealed in the 4th Quarter of the last game when Coach came to him for a play which he responds with disgust for not asking him eariler.
* Shannon Woodward - Cheerleader Emily
* Tarah Paige - Cheerleader Heidi
* Paige Schuster - Cheerleader Jenny
* Jennifer Brausuell - Cheerleader Sammy
* David Blue - Lacrosse Partygoer
* Jillian Grace - Maria Sharapova
* Eric Christian Olsen- Foreign Exchange Student
* Kai Brady - Young Lance
* Dennis Rodman - Warden
* Bradley Cooper - Cowboy
* Dax Shepard - Sheriff
* Jon Gries - Barber
* Will Arnett - Mailman
* Maurice LaMarche - Announcer
* Holmes Osborne - Man in suit
* Kerri Kenney-Silver - Sports Judge
* Lawrence Taylor - Himself
* Michael Irvin - Himself
* Eric Dickerson - Himself
* Linda Cohn - Sportscaster (Uncredited)
* Sara Ranken - Mr. Blah
* Duke lacrosse case
* Bend it Like Beckham
* Blue Crush
* Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story
* Field of Dreams
* Remember the Titans
* Stick It
* Coach Carter
* Gridiron Gang
* Rocky Balboa
* Friday Night Lights
* The Replacements
* Necessary Roughness
* The Longest Yard
* Dazed and Confused
* Rookie of the Year
* Bring it On
* Die Hard
* Any Given Sunday
* Cool Runnings
* Rocky Balboa
* Varsity Blues
The film received universally negative reviews. On Metacritic, it received a 25/100 meaning "Generally Negative Reviews". On Rotten Tomatoes, it was rated a "rotten" 7% and a "rotten" 10% Cream of the crop.
Box office performance
The film had an opening weekend of $5,554,594 at #5. At the end of its box office run, it grossed $13,349,927 domestically and $139,173 in foreign countries.http
ReferencesThis text has been derived from The Comebacks on Wikipedia and is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License 3.0